Bookworm Request: Montreal and Toronto Reads
I’m going to cheekily ignore my recent absence and jump back into blogging with a favour to ask of y’all. I’m planning a fall trip, which includes a week in Canada (my first time other than Niagara Falls) and visits to Montreal and Toronto. Unlike when I began blogging, I now read Canadian authors quite regularly, but not all of them are actually set in Canada. And while I’ve read quite a few Toronto authors, I’m not nearly so well acquainted with Montreal ones. So! I thought I’d harness the power of the blogosphere to get together a little pre-trip reading list.
I did do a little bit of library catalogue browsing last night and have holds requests for the following books:
- Midnight Robber by Nalo Hopkinson
- Moral Disorder and Other Stories by Margaret Atwood
- Last Night in Montreal by Emily St. John Mandel
- The Collected Stories of Mavis Gallant
- Anomaly by Anne Fleming
- The Heart Specialist by Claire Rothman
- Sleep On, Beloved by Cecil Foster
- Free Reign by Rosemary Aubert
- Except the Dying by Maureen Jennings
- Death of a Sunday writer by Eric Wright
- In the Skin of a Lion by Michael Ondaatje
But other than that, I’m wide open to suggestions!
Also, if any of you will be in Montreal or Toronto during the last week of October, e-mail me to see if we can figure out a meet-up!
I’ll be back to posting about books tomorrow: I just wanted to give myself some more time in a vain attempt to do justice to The Brides of Rollrock Island.
P.S.: A sampling of what I did during my month-long break:
- Spent more time in a hospital than I have in ages when my niece ended up in one, including a twenty-four stint I’d like to never repeat (I was shocked at just how unhealthy food and beverage options are in a health-oriented place). Niece is fine, btw, and never had a life-threatening condition, just a deeply unpleasant one.
- Moved to a different, larger room on the other side of my house (my sister and niece moved out) and began the cleaning/decorating/etc. that goes with that. My parents surprised me with a new bookcase! I’ll share pictures when I get it set up.
- Got all my hair chopped off again in my ongoing quest for a Mary Margaret Blanchard style pixie. And no, it’s still not quite there. But I’m getting closer!
- Took over the meal planning/shopping/cooking, which has been fun for both myself and my mom. I feel like I’m earning my keep, and she gets real food during her study breaks (she’s returned to college).
- Built a taller desk with my dad so that I can spend more time typing with less pain. Just finished it yesterday, hence my return to blogging! It should be regular again, but I’m resisting the urge to make any firm promises.
How did everyone else spend the last month of summer?